Attractions

Garczyn - the baroque church of, settlement, Ostrich Farm

address:

Garczyn

tel. :
open: The farm is available to visitors every day from 9.00 to 18.00 and weekends from 10.00 to 18.00.
access: paid
parking: free
motel: on the spot

The construction of the church under the invocation of St. Andrew the Apostle probably began about 1540. This extremely valuable object as an example of Baroque sacred architecture in Pomerania was established in place of the former church under the invocation of St. Catherine. Temple took on the Baroque character as a result of conducted alterations at a later time as well as resulting from the elongated time of construction in general. In the facility a lover of cultural tourism sees mostly equipment dated as end of the eighteenth century.  On the other hand, one of more valuable   comes from the end of the fifteenth century Gothic statue of the Beautiful Madonna. This sculpture is considered to be among the group of Pomeranian Beautiful Westphalia Madonnas. It is believed that the sculpture comes from a Norbertine Sisters Monastery in Zukow. The altar is from the second half of the eighteenth century. It is made of pine tree, and pay special attention to detail gilded woodcarvings. Inside rococo tabernacle it is placed. The other valuable monument included in the equipment of the church is the nineteenth century image of the Trinity or an image of a martyr's death St. Andrew the Apostle dated from the time of the creation of the altar. The first is located on the safe’s valve, which protects the valuable statue of the Madonna, while the second is main altar crowned. Rich ornamentation and murals can be admired in the two side rococo altars from the second half of the eighteenth century. They are located images of a Saint. Ignatius of Loyola, Saint. Anthony with the Child in the altar on its right side and St. Joseph with the Child and the image of miraculous multiplication of the loaves on the left. The church has many more interesting sights include: Late Baroque font from the late seventeenth century, Baroque candlestick made of brass or organs in the Baroque style from 1873 year. In the village there is still alive and cherished the cult of Our Lady Garczyńska what testifies to the great religious of Kashubian community. To participate in
worship for many generations call sounds propagated through the whole countryside
by bells located in the church tower. The first one comes from 1674 , the second - larger from 1771, was plundered by the German army in 1942 and regained after the war.  Early mediaeval stronghold "Wzgorze Grodowe" in Garczyn is one of the most interesting natural attractions in Koscierzyna district.
Garczyn is one of the oldest settlements in the land of Pomerania. Present name is associated with the fortified castle, which was located on the Castle Hill and also means stronghold. Mention of the village dates back to ancient times early medieval. During the archaeological researches conducted here were encountered four places with box graves. Extracted from them a large number of clay vessels, which are characteristic for the ninth century BC. Also encountered coming from the eighth / ninth century, early medieval urns.  Between Large Lake( Jezioro Duze) and a  hill called the Mount of priests (Ksieza Gora) has been discovered traces of a settlement of about 1400 - 1100 years BC. This was confirmed by conducted archeological research in the years 1960 to 1961 implemented those by Archaeological Museum in Gdansk. Studies have shown the existence of open settlement in the ninth century, which transformed with time into fortified place. Stronghold was built in the first half of the tenth century. Archaeologists have discovered stone layers, which evidenced the construction of the shaft during the period indicated and having a defensive character. In pagan times, quite often this type of trenches has been mounded and fortified castles were built and gave some shelter during the enemy attack. For this purpose has been used elevated 39 m (a.s.l.) terrain with an area of ??3 ha located near the Great Lake. Stronghold became a main center of Garczynski land and became an element of the defensive fortifications complex built along Wierzyca. He was one of points that protect the inhabitants of these territories against the attacks of south. Currently the early medieval stronghold is worth the visit when traveling Kashubia. It  Is visible from the main road in Garczyn. Lovers of cultural tourism
should visit this place in August when the Pomeranian Dukes festival takes place. Located in the vicinity of Kashubian forests, lakes and hills African ostrich farm is a place unique and attracts every year thousands of tourists, especially families and school trips. It is undoubted opportunity to learn about these amazing animals. A camel Caesar invites the youngest to ride on his own hump, Fiord Parys proudly walks the runway and still nibbles the grass while rhea birds wondering all the time how they landed in Kashubia. These and other animals can be known by spending some time on the farm.
In the offer for visitors there is provided possibility of touring the farm with guide, riding a camel or horse and many other attractions. Connoisseurs will feast on scrambled eggs from ostrich egg. It is worth noting that from one ostrich egg you can prepare a dish for eight or even ten people.
Today the farm has over 220 ostriches, for whose prepared runs with total area of ??5.5 ha.


back

Zaplanuj Wyjazd

Start

Ulica

Miejscowość

Brak punktów

Cel

Ulica

Miejscowość

Address: none

Close Save location