Attractions

War Cemetery in Lukow (pyramid)

address:

ul. Warszawska
Łukowo

tel. :
open:
access: free
parking: free
motel: on the spot

In the Lukow area, a small village located in Bory Tucholskie, a multinational POW camp operated during the First World War.  Among POW were Romanians, Russians, British and Italians. In total there were approximately 50 thousand prisoners. Massive disease, the tragic climatic conditions, hunger and lack of normal living conditions caused the death of approximately 10% of the soldiers. The dead buried in established at the camp site cemetery. The preserved to this day war cemetery reminds about these tragic events. The cemetery is fenced and the gate of the cemetery crowned with Orthodox crosses. On information board there is the inscription: War Cemetery in the years 1914-1917. At the cemetery area of 1.5 ha are buried 4,500 Russian prisoners of war. Most of them are captives of clustering in the camp located in the dugouts at adjacent terrain. HONOR THEIR MEMORY! In the middle of the cemetery is set monument made of pyramid shape stone.  The cemetery is well-kept; ground burials are more or less marked in even rows.


back

Zaplanuj Wyjazd

Start

Ulica

Miejscowość

Brak punktów

Cel

Ulica

Miejscowość

Address: none

Close Save location